Bikes for All Mainers is a free educational program offering adults an opportunity to earn a bicycle and build skills in basic bike maintenance and traffic awareness. This program is specifically designed to provide a bicycle as a means of affordable transportation and recreation for anyone without the economic means to purchase a bicycle from the Portland Gear Hub or other bike shops. This program will be held in-person and outside for the 2021 season.
Enrollment for this program is first come, first served. We have a limited number of spaces available.
We have combined our Youth Earn-A-Bike (ages 12 – 18) and Bikes for All Mainers (ages 18+) programs to encourage whole households and families to apply at the same time and take this course together. Students must already know how to ride a bicycle and be at least 12 years old to apply. A parent or legal guardian must fill out the application for anyone who is under 18 years old.
After completing the virtual course, participants will receive:
- A fully functional refurbished bicycle
- A new helmet, lock, and safety lights
- Training on basic bike maintenance
- Training on safe road bicycle riding practices
- An appreciation of riding for fun and transportation
To complete the program and earn a bike students must:
- Be age 12 or older
- Know how to ride a bike
- Participate in a 2 hour long outdoor group class
- Be unable to afford a bike from our retail location or other local bike shop
How does it work?
- Sign-up below (Under 18 must be completed by a parent/guardian) for you and the number of people in your family / household who want to attend.
- Check your email to complete the necessary form
- Once all forms are complete, you will be sent a confirmation for the class date and time you selected.
- Arrive to your class on-time. Masks are strongly encouraged and we will take precautions that everyone maintains a 6ft distance during class time.
- We are working with current Gear Hub staff and former Bikes for All Mainers/ Youth Earn-A-Bike graduates to provide translations into multiple languages for each class.
Schedule & Sign-Ups
2021 Application will be available mid-April!
Thanks to funding and support from:
The Onion Foundation, Bicycle Coalition of Maine, Kryptonite, J&B Distributors, and individual donors.
Want to Help fund this Program?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I get a Bike Right Now?
If you have the financial means, we hope you would consider taking a look at our refurbished bikes for sale at our retail location,155 Washington Ave. Bikes are reasonably priced and ALL of the profits from our bike sales go directly towards funding our programs.
My Child is Under the Age of 12, How do I get Them a Bike?
For kids ages 3-11, we will be having 3 Bike Parties in June, July, and August. Sign-ups will be available mid-April 2021.
What should I do if Your Classes are Full?
We have a limited number of spots for people to earn bikes each summer. Sign-ups are on a first come, first served basis. Once the class is full, we cannot take any more students.