Bikes for All Mainers is an educational program for adults seeking affordable transportation and to build skills in basic bike maintenance and traffic awareness. The program takes place at the Portland Gear Hub Bike School and is provided in partnership with the Bicycle Coalition of Maine.
Participants who complete the program will earn:
- A fully functional refurbished bicycle
- A new helmet plus safety accessories including: a lock, lights, and a multi-tool
- Training on maintaining a bicycle and safe bicycle riding practices
2019 Session Schedule
All sessions are full.
Session 1: Mondays, April 29 and May 6, 5:00 – 8:00 PM
Session 2: Tuesday, May 21 and Thursday, May 23, 5:30 – 8:30 PM
Session 3: Mondays, June 3 and 10, 5:00 – 8:00 PM
Session 4: Mondays, June 17 and 24, 5:00 – 8:00 PM
Session 5: Tuesday, July 16 and Thursday, July 18, 5:30 – 8:30 PM
Session 6: Mondays, July 29 and August 5, 5:00 – 8:00 PM
Session 7: Monday, August 26 and Wednesday, August 28, 3 – 6 PM
- Please fill out an application and bring it to the Portland Gear Hub at 155 Washington Ave
- Be 18 years of age or older by the time of the class.
- Demonstrate ability to ride a bicycle before the program begins.
- Attend a full session of two 3-hour classes (a total of 6 hours)
Thanks to funding and support from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, Bangor Savings Bank, and proceeds from sales and volunteers at the Portland Gear Hub, we will be able to increase the number of participants in 2019 to 50 students .
The 2019 Application is closed at this time. We had an overwhelming number of people apply this year (over 100!) and we are not able to fit everyone into the program in this season. If you have not heard from us after submitting your application, you are most likely on a wait list. We will keep your information and contact you for 2020 programming. If you graduated from this program in years past or already in 2019, consider volunteering! The more volunteers and donors, the more people we can reach!
Provided by the Portland Gear Hub and the Bicycle Coalition of Maine
with funding from Bangor Savings Bank
Read about Bikes for All Mainers
- NPR’s Marketplace Report (July 12, 2016): Bicycle classes help Maine refugees get around town
- Leg Work: Bikes and Lessons Give New Mainers Access (Source)
- Bikes for New Mainers (American Bicyclist)