Work on your bike!
Open Bench Time is an all-ages drop-in program at our Bike School location open to the community to work on your own bike. Work independently using our repair stands, benches, and tools. A Gear Hub mechanic and volunteers are available for assistance and to answer questions. This program is open to anyone, no mechanical experience required. This is a learning space!
How does it work?
- Sessions are drop-in. No sign-up needed.
- 1 bike per bench. A bench includes a repair stand and tools!
- A bench can be used for a maximum of 90 minutes per session
- We have a basic selection of used and new parts available for sale at the Bike School (like cables and housing)
- If you need specific parts, consider stopping by our retail location at 155 Washington Ave beforehand (our retail location is just a short 5 minute walk from the Bike School)
- Youth are encouraged to join us during Open Bench Time. Youth can share a bench with a parent/guardian or attend on their own with a completed Youth Permission Form filled out by a parent/guardian.
Sliding Scale Pricing
Open Bench Time is offered at a suggested donation of $20 per session for use of a bench space. Please pay what you can. Sliding scale offerings are vital to our mission to increase equitable access to the outdoors and gear.
Our sliding scale does not apply to new or used parts.
Tuesdays 4 – 7pm
Fridays 3 – 6pm, starting June 9th
Open Bench Time takes place at the Portland Gear Hub Bike School at 85 Anderson St. in Portland.
Guidelines and other details:
The Bike School is a small space with 4 available benches and stands. We will do our best to accommodate people as space is available, and you can help us by adhering to the 90 minute max timeframe.
The benches are equipped with the most frequently used tools to repair most bicycles. We don’t have every tool in this space though! Based on our equipment and space available at each bench, at this time the following repairs cannot be accommodated during Open Bench Time:
- Hydraulic brake servicing
- Tubeless tire set-up
- Suspension service
- Cargo bikes (depending on size due to spatial constraints)
- Bike boxes (If you are building up a frame or recently ordered a new bike in a box, please leave all packaging material at home – there isn’t enough space.)