We are combining our Youth Earn-A-Bike (ages 12 – 18) and Bikes for All Mainers (ages 18+) programs for 2020. This means families (households) can now earn bikes together!
Youth Earn a Bike is a free education program for youth ages 12-17, who are seeking affordable transportation/health options and would not otherwise have the economic means to purchase a bike from the Portland Gear Hub or another local bike shop. This program will be held online using Google Classroom, not in the Bike School.
This program builds skill sets that help youth ride bikes with basic knowledge, self-sufficiency, and confidence. Topics will include basic bike safety & bike handling skills, and we’ll provide a platform to learn more and ask questions.
Enrollment for this program is first come, first served. We have a limited number of spaces available.
Students must already know how to ride a bicycle and be at least 12 years old to apply. A parent or legal guardian must fill out the application for anyone who is under 18 years old.
After completing the virtual course, participants will earn:
- A fully functional refurbished bicycle
- A new helmet, lock, and safety lights
- Training on basic bike maintenance
- Training on safe road bicycle riding practices
- An appreciation of riding for fun and transportation
To complete the program and earn a bike students must:
- Be age 12 or older
- Know how to ride a bike
- Successfully complete the virtual course and quizzes within 2 weeks
- Be unable to afford a bike from our retail location or other local bike shop
How does it work?
- Sign-up below (Under 18 must be completed by a parent/guardian)
- Check email to complete the necessary form
- Once all forms are complete, you will be sent a link to our online classroom
- Complete the online classroom assignments
- Schedule a time to pick up the bike
Schedule & Sign-Ups
Thanks to funding and support from: Portland Gear Hub, Onion Foundation, Bicycle Coalition of Maine, J&B Distributors, and individual donors.
Want to Help fund this Program?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I get my Child a Bike Right Now?
If you have the financial means, we hope you would consider taking a look at our refurbished bikes for sale online for people of all shapes and sizes at our retail location,155 Washington Ave. Bikes are reasonably priced and ALL of the profits from our bike sales go directly towards funding our programs.
My Child is Under the Age of 12, How do I get Them a Bike?
For kids ages 3-11, we will be having a single day Bike Party event in August. Sign-ups and more information will be posted in sometime in July.
What should I do if Your Classes are Full?
We have a limited number of spots for people to earn bikes each summer. Sign-ups are on a first come, first served basis. Once the class is full, we cannot take any more students.