Youth ages 12 – 18 can now earn bikes in the Bikes for All Mainers program. Bikes for All Mainers is a free educational program offering people ages 12+ an opportunity to earn a bicycle and build skills in basic bike maintenance and traffic awareness. This program is specifically designed to provide a bicycle as a means of affordable transportation and recreation for anyone without the economic means to purchase a bicycle from the Portland Gear Hub or other bike shops. This program will be held in-person and outside for the 2021 season.
Enrollment for this program is first come, first served. We have a limited number of spaces available.
We have combined the Youth Earn-A-Bike (ages 12 – 18) and Bikes for All Mainers (ages 18+) programs, so that whole households and families can apply at the same time and take this course together. Students must already know how to ride a bicycle and be at least 12 years old to apply. A parent or legal guardian must fill out the application for anyone who is under 18 years old.
Bikes for All Mainers graduates receive:
- A fully refurbished bicycle
- A new helmet, lock, and safety lights
- Training on basic bike maintenance
- Training on safe road bicycle riding practices
- An appreciation of riding for fun and transportation
To be eligible, students must:
- Be age 12 or older
- Already know how to ride a bike
- Participate in a 2 hour long outdoor group class
- Be unable to afford a bike from our retail location or other local bike shop
How does it work?
- Sign-up below for you and the number of people in your family or household who want to attend. A parent or guardian must register for anyone under 18 years of age and attend with them.
- Check your email to complete the necessary follow-up form.
- Once all forms are complete, you will be sent a confirmation for the class date and time you selected.
- Arrive to your class on-time. Masks are mandatory and we will be teaching in small groups to allow for social distancing. Classes will be outside.
- Instructors are composed of current Gear Hub staff and Bikes for All Mainers graduates who will provide translations when possible for each class.
Schedule & Sign-Ups
Session 1: June 2, 10 AM – 12 PM
Session 2: June 2, 1 PM – 3 PM
Session 3: June 30, 10 AM – 12 PM
Session 4: June 30, 1 PM – 3 PM
Session 5: August 4, 10 AM – 12 PM
Session 6: August 4, 1 PM – 3 PM
Thanks to funding and support from:
The Onion Foundation, Bicycle Coalition of Maine, Kryptonite Locks, Michael T. Goulet Founation, J&B Distributors, and individual donors.
Want to Help fund this Program?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I get my Child a Bike Right Now?
If you have the financial means, we hope you would consider taking a look at our refurbished bikes for sale at our retail location,155 Washington Ave. Bikes are reasonably priced and ALL of the profits from our bike sales go directly towards funding our programs.
My Child is Under the Age of 12, How do I get Them a Bike?
For kids ages 3-11, we will be having a 3 Kids’ Bike Parties in Summer 2021: June 5, July 3, August 7 from 10 AM – 1 PM. Sign-ups in advance are required and parents must attend with the child earning a bike and helmet. Sign-ups will be available by May 1, 2021.
What should I do if Your Classes are Full?
We have a limited number of spots for people to earn bikes each summer. Sign-ups are on a first come, first served basis. Once the class is full, we cannot take any more students.