Be Your Own Bike Mechanic
The Portland Gear Hub’s Be Your Own Bike Mechanic course is offered in both 6-week sessions and 2-day sessions.
The 6-week sessions are taught in 2-hour blocks. The 2-day sessions are taught in 6-hour intensive blocks.
Whichever class you choose, you’ll learn about all aspects of your bike. The class is taught by professional mechanics and educators.
Throughout the series, students will be able to deconstruct their bike, identify mechanical problems, and put it all back together again.
These classes will cover topics like:
– Basic Bike Knowledge: Part Identification and Understanding
– Tires, Tubes, Etc. & Flat Tire Practice
– The Braking Systems: Levers, Calipers, Etc.
– The Shifting Systems: Shifters, Derailleurs, Etc.
– The Drivetrain Systems: Chains, Gears, Etc.
– Bearing Systems: Hubs, Bottom Brackets, Etc.
– Wheels: Spokes, Nipples, & Truing
The price is $200 for the whole series.
Provided by the Portland Gear Hub with support from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine
2-Day Intensives – Sessions Available Now!
November 8 & 9, 2018 from 8:30 AM – 2:30PM.Register Here
December 6 & 7, 2018 from 8:30 AM – 2:30PM.Register Here
Now Booking Weeknight Classes for 2019!
January 2 – February 6, 2019: Wednesday Nights, 6:30p – 8:30pRegister Here
February 20 – March 27, 2019: Wednesday Nights, 6:30p – 8:30pRegister Here
April 10 – May 15, 2019: Wednesday Nights, 6:30p – 8:30pRegister Here
May 29 – July 3, 2019: Wednesday Nights, 6:30p – 8:30pRegister Here